Momma-Whit

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Somebody Snitched on Papaw

This story begins several years ago when my dad, a.k.a. Papaw, was diagnosed as a diabetic. All sweets, bread, and other goodies were immediately banished from the Fryman household. Now to understand this fully, you need to know that Papaw is a snacker, and all of a sudden the option of "good" snacks was taken away. Papaw lost weight, but followed his doctor's diet religiously.

Fast forward a few years. Papaw's sugar readings are still great and he is in good health, fishing whenever he can and going to Walmart. A few months ago, I saw him in his truck going through the McDonald's drive through. Later on that day I saw him and Mamaw and I mentioned that I saw him going through the drive through at McDonald's. Mamaw immediately said that they were not at McDonald's that day and he only was out to go to Walmart so I let the matter drop, even though I knew I saw him there.

About a month later, I called Mamaw to see if she and Papaw wanted to meet me and Bobbie Jo at Golden Corral in Georgetown. She said yes, but I needed to go to Walmart to tell Papaw. He had just left the house and we were about the same distance from Walmart. I went to Walmart and did not see his truck or car. I went in and searched the store throughly, but no Papaw. I went outside the store and called Mamaw, and she told me he was there somewhere. Immediately, after I hung up the phone, I saw Papaw pulling his car into the parking lot. I walked over to him and noticed that he had food particles around his mouth. I knew he had stopped for food again. This then became a secret among our family--Papaw sneaking food, Mamaw not knowing about it, and us laughing about it.

The next week I was at Walmart and saw him getting out of his truck and I walked over to say hello. I noticed that he had food crumbs on his shirt. I laughed to myself and brushed the crumbs from his shirt without him knowing what I was doing while I was talking to him.

About three weeks ago, Bobbie Jo met Papaw and Mamaw at Golden Corral in Georgetown. While she was standing in line, she mentioned to Papaw that he had mustard on the side of his mouth. After a quick look from Mamaw, Bobbie Jo recovered quickly and said something about it not being mustard. She told me about this and we had another good laugh.

Now, present day. Tonight while having dinner with Papaw and Mamaw, while Papaw went to the bathroom, Mamaw told me that Papaw went to Walmart one day last week. While he was gone, their good friend, Lois, a.k.a. the "Snitch" called Mamaw. While they were talking, she mentioned that she had eaten with Papaw at Kentucky Fried Chicken. When Papaw got home, Mamaw asked him where he had been, and he of course said Walmart. She asked him if he was sure he went to Walmart and he said yes. So, Mamaw asked him while he was out who he ate with at Kentucky Fried Chicken. When Mamaw told me this I laughed and didn't say a word of Papaw's previous transgressions while on the way to Walmart. I won't be the snitch that says, "That's not the first time!"

2 Comments:

  • At 12:04 AM, Blogger Alecia Whitaker said…

    I say Let Them Eat Cake!

    I always thought there was something suspicious about a man making daily Wal-Mart runs. I mean, how much Home & Garden or Housewares & Appliances can a guy peruse?

    You've just gotta love that man...
    The Stealth Snacker

    (Good thing Mamaw hasn't found out about the world wide web, or his double life will be exposed!)

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Bobbie Jo said…

    I remember that night at Golden Corral. I thought Mamaw was going to get whiplash after she turned around so quickly to look for mustard on Papaws face. Poor Papaw. I wonder how often he goes to Wal-Mart now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home