Momma-Whit

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Happenings from the Summer of 2005

Time has really flown by this summer. It seems only yesterday that I said goodbye to students for the summer and now, next Tuesday, the students will be pouring in again. Only this time, I will be teaching 6 classes instead of 4. The students will be grumbling, and the teachers, including me, probably will be too. Hopefully not. Nobody likes change and some find it harder to accept than others.

This summer stated with Glen anticipating retirement, now as of July 25, it is official.

I decided I wanted the car of my choice, and one I have wanted for a long time, and now I have it--a fire engine red Grand Am. I love it!

Not to be outdone, Glen decided he too wanted new wheels. While I was in Nashville, he got a new Dodge--a hoss of a truck! Now, my car is "chopped liver"--but now I like liver!

Bobbie Jo thinks it stinks that her mom and dad have cooler wheels that she does!

We made a day trip to Carter Caves State Park and toured one of the caves there. We had a rather interesting tour guide. Matt wanted to get some rays at the pool, but it started raining just as we got there, so no sun for Matt, but at least it didn't rain the entire time. We did manage to get wet waiting underneath the trees for the train to stop. Finally, Bobbie Jo was a trouper and went and got the car and pulled it up for us to run out to. Of course, we got soaked in the process. But we still had a good day with it ending watching July 4th fireworks in Paris on our way home.

Summer brought my annual traveling, and so on July 13 I left for Nashville. I met Glen, Bobbie Jo, and Matt at Grand Rivers on that Saturday, the 16th, for a few days of fun and relaxation. We had a good time on the lake and at Patti's Settlement. That Tuesday, I left and went home. Glen and Bobbie Jo took off for St. Louis and the Arch, and Matt took off for Murray and Nashville. The next day FBLA camp started for me.

At camp, I did something I had not done in probably 30 years. I went off the high dive at the swimming pool. Can you believe it? I can't really believe I did it, not once, but twice!

Returning from camp on Saturday, I left for Louisville on Sunday for a four day conference. Finally on July 27th, I arrived home from my travels.

I now know that I am not as young as I used to be. I don't have the stamina to live out of a suitcase for that long, changing hotels, and sleeping in cabins. But, I am glad it worked out that way. With all my traveling together, I was able to have three complete weeks off this summer. That was great!

August 1 brought Papaw's 79th birthday, and my first day back to school.

Summer for me is over, but it was great. I have the best tan I have had in years, I have lost 17 pounds, and I was able to spend some quality time with Glen and Matt and Bobbie Jo.

The icing on the cake will be going to New York and spending time with Alecia on August 14!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Alecia Whitaker said…

    You went off the high dive!!!! That's incredible. My only high dive experience was waiting in the long line at the public swimming pool, slowly climbing up the to the top, inching forward to the edge, looking down, and turning around to climb back down -- to the thunderous sound of my middle school peers booing my cowardice. Mom, you're my hero.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home